Designer Gwendolynne Burkin is one of Australia’s most prominent Fashion Designer’s. She has been working professionally in the industry for over 25 years and her signature label Gwendolynne is now almost in its 20th year.
In 2004 Burkin re focused the "fashion" label to specialize in contemporary bridal fashion. In recent years the business has expanded & the label has begun selling into the UK, NZ, USA, IRELAND & Australia Nationally additionally to her immense following in Melbourne due to thecountless international requests. What's different about Gwendolynne is she approaches bridal from a fashion perspective thus having a strong individual aesthetic in her approach to design.
"Because my look has always been romantic it was a natural transition to move into bridal"
Because of her solid industry background she is also often highly regarded as a key influencer and regularly contacted to make statements about fashion and the business fashion, appear at events and she is known for her own creative sense of Melbourne "Northside" style.
Over the years Burkin has become a well known Melbourne identity and has amassed an array of colourful press, editorial covers & stories . Here we showcase some of the highlights with the designer herself:
COVERS, EDITORIAL, PRESs
Gwendolynne has had countless articles and cover stories in magazines & newspaper including: Vogue, Marie Claire, Sportswear, Wallpaper WGSN, Cosmopolitan . She has sat on the Board for Melbourne Spring Fashion Weeks, was elected one of Who weekely's most sexiest people of 2004 and was also given the title of being a Melbourne Cycling Ambassador.
Some favourite press stories:
THE AUSTRALIAN BALLET - BALLETONET
WEEKLY COVER STORY
red Carpet EVENTS
A regular VIP guest at prominent events and openings in Melbourne & Australia. Here are some of her appearances on the red carpet often with her good friend Milliner Richard Nylon.
The designer loves making imagery here she appears in front of the camera
- At fourteen she was a fashion presenter on a kid's televison show for Channel 9 with a puppet called Winky Dink
- At fourteen and a half she had her first job as a fabric sales assistant
- At fifteen she went to the opening Parliament house in one of her own hand sewn creations as a guest of her stepdad Senator John Coulter
- She was awarded Best Art Student at her school
- First student from her Royal Melbourne Institute Technology BA Fashion course to be employed in her year
- At 18 her first business was making fabric hats which she sold at boutiques and markets
- A regular finalist in Emerging designer awards
- Was selected to represent Australia as a prominent Australian Designer in showcases in New York, London & Singapore
- Has appeared in countless fashion weeks in Sydney and Melbourne
- A pattern cutter and designerfor multiple brands in Melbourne & London
- A regular fixture a Summer & Winter Melbourne Fashion weeks since early1997
- Who Weekly – Votes Gwendolynne Burkin as one of the 25 sexiest people of 2004
- Gwendolynne Burkin has Appeared on the front cover of numerous print publications such as: Fashion Week Supplement Herald Sun, Melbourne Times,
- Participated in Collection Showcases held in Beijing, Singapore, New York & London to promote Australian Fashion weeks internationally
- Was the first Australian Designer to create a capsule collection for Target Australia
- Gwendolynne designs have appeared on countless celebrities at red carpet events
- Gwendolynne appeared in the Sony Cybershot TV ad campaign (Asia)
- Participated in many Boutique Expos & Trade Fairs such as One Fine Day & Bride & Mercedes Australian Fashion Week & Coiterie (New York)
- Contributed to Salvador Dali Design created for the exhibition which is now part of on going collection in Milan
- Presented a TUTU at The Sydney Opera House aligned with the Australian Ballet
- Contributed to Powerhouse Museum exhibition "Sourcing the Muse”
- Nokia international advertising campaign (40 countries design and making of costumes)
- Jewellery designed by Gwendolynne in collaboration with Autore South Sea Pearls
- Won several positions at Fashions on the fields at Flemington
- Outfits have racecourse & Dubai World Cup
- Painted for the Archibald Prize by artist Brian Reberger
- Regular guest lecturer& speaker at major instituations & events
- Mercedes Australian Fashion Week 2001 campaign.
- Ambassador of Fashion in The City of Yarra
- Cycling Ambassador for Melbourne
- Has been a judge several times for Myer Melbourne Fashions on the field
- Special guest designer at Perth fashion festival
- Official member of Melbourne Spring Fashion Week Advisory Board
- Finalist for 5 years consistently in the New Designer Award
- Guinevere costumes for musical Camelot